- Select a local, state, or national public policy that is relevant today in the local, regional, or national news
- Local: community or urban growth (examples: results of rezoning, reuse of public structures, closed down school/public buildings that will convert to private business enterprise).
- State: Private land converted to public spaces (examples: airports, road, or highway usage).
- Federal: Gun policy, drug policy, immigration (examples: effects on jobs, background checks, cultural changes in communities).
- Identify how the policy was formulated from a historical standpoint and identify which stakeholders were involved in the process.
- Appraise the position whether the policy creates a benefit for one group (or stakeholder) while other groups experience disadvantages or negative challenges because of public policy implementation.